Green Acres Bliss

In The Country No One Can Hear My Screams

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Holiday Mania

Every year I swear that we are going to have a low key "relaxing" holiday season and every year the idea gets completely blown out of the water immediately.

This year Ive given up that notion completely.

Im also a notorious last minute shopper. Im that frantic person in Target on Christmas Eve with still no idea what to buy anyone. I did promise I wouldnt be that person this year and I kicked it off today with the purchase of 2 gifts online. C came running into the diningroom today and announced loudly..

"I want a Pillow Pet!"

"A pillow pet?" I asked, raising one eyebrow. Hes 5, but hes a manly man. Footballs, and videogames, and guns. I was confused.

"You can put your pajamas in them!" his eyes full of, what is that? Excitment?

"A pillow pet?" I asked again still confused by his excitement.

He has a Christmas list already. He wrote it out himself and based on his translation for me it reads:
Halo legos
Nerf Gun
Nerf Darts

None the less, I looked up pillow pets online and called him over so we could discuss which one he wanted.

"Hungry Hippo!" he pointed. Its a purple hippo.

"Really? Not the t-rex or something?" He loves dinosaurs.

"No. Hungry Hippo." He was insistant.

Im still confused about this complete shift away from football helmets and xbox games but hey, I ordered it anyways.

My conversation with JR went about as expected.

"What do you want to put on your list for Santa?"

"Mmmmm....2 toys" he held up 2 fingers.

"Just 2 toys? Any two toys?"

"Mmmm 2 toys. 3..4..5. 5 toys." He held up 3, 4, and 5 fingers respectively.

"Ok so any 5 toys Santa can scrounge up will work?"

"Um, a guitar and 2 tractors" he stated specifically.

Thank goodness this conversation went better with A and JD since they are older. JD was a bit difficult b/c his list said things like Dirt bike, pony, and puppy.

"You know Santa is not bringing you a dirtbike right? And we already have two dogs." I looked over my reading glasses at him.

"Dirt bikes arnt that expensive and we have dogs. Not a PUPPY." He was trying to make eyes at me.

"You'll shoot your eye out." It spilled out of my mouth.

"Its not a gun" he replied flatly "and this isnt that movie."

"Fine, you'll poke your eye out... or crack your head open... or something. whydoyouhavetoarguewithmeaboutthis?!" I was exsaperated by this conversation already.

God Bless A. My logical thinking young man who only asked for completely reasonable items. You know.... like an ipod touch, completely reasonable for an 11 year old! I dont even own an ipod touch.

Oh Christmas. You are a joy every year and this is just the begining!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...